Monday, November 06, 2006

A Day of Rest

Day Three - It is Sunday, and Dave and Campaign grant us three hours to attend Church. It is tempting to talk about what we are doing here while in our meetings, but we steer clear of partisanship in our congregation. There is a need for a vibrant community of each party in any church, and we don't want to offend anyone out of ours just to win an election. (The worth of a soul is greater than victory, in the scheme of things.) As liberal as Democrats seem to be becoming, it does not mean Republicans should have a monopoly on religion. I do not want to have to choose between religious and political freedom. The failure of the Democrats to embrace morality is, in my opinion, the root of their decline, and the single biggest advantage the Republicans have this election. Democrats need more moderates.

Mike, a local volunteer, tells me stories about King County Democrats and how they stuff ballot boxes and "find" last minute "missing votes." He says, "We have lost the right to speak ill of Cook County, Illinois." I found this funny, because I was born in Cook County, where my father attended grad school at the University of Chicago. My father would tell me stories later in life about the Democratic Party Union in Illinois. Could King County, Washington really be that bad? He nodded a Republican nod. "We have to legitimately win by at least 15,000 votes to feel comfortable," he says.

In the afternoon, we drop by Dave's place and pick up more fliers. We go door to door and visit twice as many homes as before, under light rain. In the evening, I make another 82 calls, this time in two hours, and retire very satisfied for the evening.



Jed Merrill

You can find this post via either http://www.RaceforAmerica.com/ or http://www.BloggingforAmerica.com/.

1 comment:

TJFozzie said...

As a fellow Washingtonian on the Southern Side I just want to say thanks for all you're doing to help the real defenders of freedom in office. I've done my part ~ now it's not our responsibility. God's much more able to win a race than I am. :)