Wednesday, November 08, 2006

America, God Shed His Grace

The election is done, and results are mostly in. I'm reeling a bit with how well the Democrats have done, but unlike some people, I don't see them as the enemy. I don't fully trust them, but they too represent a part of the voice of this people.

At the time of writing, the Democrats control the House, the Republicans control the Presidency, and the Senate is split. That actually allows for a precariously sensational balance that should make listening to the radio a lot more fun over the next few years, though I worry that Democrats will get brazen, fat heads and forget why they have been elected. It is not because we agree with homosexuality or abortion or many of the other stands they have paraded over the past decade, but because we recognize the need for balance in a true Democratic system.

We have not upended Bush or tossed out the virtues of the Republican party, but we have done a little bloodletting, and hopefully our country will be more fit and less swollen for it. Thank God (literally) that Nancy Pelosi is only Speaker of the House and not President, and I think we can call it a day and maybe sleep tonight.

From the point of view of my team, we've had our victories, and we will go home to sweet memories and two years of egalitarian rewards. Dave Reichert hasn't won yet, but last I heard he was up 51% to 49%. It may just come down to the effort that our little band has put in, and that makes me feel good all over, and ought to be a tepid lesson in political activism. A very small number (forty, in our case) can make a real difference, and who knows? Maybe the exactly 250 calls I made today and the people I inspire through this blog will make a lasting impression on the face of my beautiful America.



Jed Merrill

You can find this post via either http://www.RaceforAmerica.com/ or http://www.BloggingforAmerica.com/.

No comments: